OTEC Scholarships 2018
Available for first-time college students, returning students and those students who would like to pursue a career in a electrical line school.
Over twenty $5,000 Scholarships available!
OTEC is committed to supporting the overall health of the communities we serve. One of the ways we do this is by awarding twenty-eight $5,000 scholarships to deserving students throughout our service territory. Scholarships are available for first time college students, returning students and those enrolling in electrical line school.
Scholarships are funded through unclaimed capital credits and their earnings. They do not affect electric rates.
Applications are made available in the fall, usually November 1 of each year. 2017 applications must be received by 5pm on Friday, January 25, 2018 to be accepted. OTEC will not accept any late or incomplete scholarship applications. Please carefully review the application criteria and the application itself - the process has changed from previous years. See Applicant Criteria document for details on submitting your application. Please send any questions to Ms. Ghormley well in advance of the deadline.
Scholarship winners are selected by independent scholarship committees in each of OTEC's four service territories.
One-time scholarships in an amount to be determined on an annual basis by Oregon Trail Electric Cooperative’s (OTEC) Board of Directors will be awarded under the following guidelines:
- Available to active members and their dependents receiving electric service from OTEC.
- Scholarships will be granted to attend full-time (12 hour minimum) an accredited vocational school, technical, college or university..
- Applicant should have achieved a 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Applicant must be of good character as evidenced by two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a teacher, principal or counselor at the education institution they currently attend (or attended in the past) and the other from a community member.
- Applicant must have successfully held at least a part-time job, internship, or volunteer position during the past year. A letter of recommendation from the employer/supervisor/organization must be included in addition to the two letters required in #4 above.
- Applicant must demonstrate a coherent degree plan and willingness to pursue a course of higher learning.
- Economic need, history of community involvement, and potential for success of the applicant will be considered.
- Applications are due no later than 5 p.m. on January 25, 2018 for a fall-semester scholarship. Application must be emailed to Sandra Ghormley in the following format:
- Application, Transcripts and Recommendations must be attached as separate documents.
- Each attachment should be in the following format: NAME-COUNTY-TYPE OF DOCUMENT-2018. For example: Sandra Ghormley-Baker-Recommendations-2018.
- Awards will normally be announced on OTEC’s website on or by April 10th.
Scholarships of $5,000 will be paid in full upon verification of enrollment with funds made out directly to the educational institution. In the case the student does not attend the specified educational institution by second quarter/second semester, the scholarship award will be forfeited and returned to OTEC.
This is a one-time scholarship. Individuals who wish to receive additional funding must re-apply each year. Scholarships will be awarded on the criteria stated above.
Send applications and questions to:
Director of Member and Program Service